Cable Splicing Technician:
Solarus, a Central-Wisconsin based Internet, Phone and TV provider, is seeking a full-time Cable Splicing Technician to join our plant department in Wisconsin Rapids. This is a hands-on position which will be responsible for building and maintaining the complex external network our services are delivered on.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, highly organized and possess excellent communication skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all tasks related to splicing, terminating, testing, maintenance and repair of aerial and buried copper and fiber optic cable facilities.
- Work above ground on ladders and/or bucket truck.
- Assist other employees and departments in locating and repairing trouble in outside plant, up to and including the Main Distribution Frame for copper and fiber.
- Perform construction work as needed with line crews.
- Report and perform work as directed by the Director of Operations in a safe and timely manner.
- Work with excavators in protecting plant facilities; excavation tools include: shovel, spade, pick, trencher, backhoe.
- Occasional weekend, overtime, scheduled night time, and call-outs as necessary.
- Work alone with remote supervision; work in temperature extremes.
- Read maps, schematics, and staking sheets and make necessary corrections.
- Operate a service truck daily, frequently towing a loaded trailer; operate and maintain construction equipment, test gear, and vehicles in a safe and responsible manner.
- Communicate with the public and fellow employees in a pleasant and businesslike manner in person or by telephone.
- Reports to Solarus Warehouse and must reside within Solarus service area and within 30 minutes of the reporting location.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Display respect and maintain a good reputation in the community.
- Possess positive attitude, good communication and self-motivation skills.
- Maintain proficiency and knowledge to use all test, digging, and aerial equipment provided by the company.
- Ability to maintain fiber locating system(s); Apply industry accepted techniques when troubleshooting copper and fiber facilities.
- Ability to climb ladders and work out of a 40 foot aerial bucket truck.
- Understand basic telephony and electronics, and AC/DC power.
- Use an Ohmmeter, TDR, OTDR, bridges, sheath fault locator, cable analyzer, fusion splicer, power meter, and other test equipment as designated by the company.
- Basic computer skills (Word/Excel).
- Valid driver’s license and be insurable by Solarus insurance carrier.
- Be able to stand, walk, stoop, sit, climb, bend, grasp, work above head, and lift and carry up to 70 pounds.
- Have normal/corrected eyesight and distinguish color.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Previous telephony construction; fiber and copper cable fault location and clearing experience preferred.
BENEFITS: As a Solarus employee, you will enjoy a competitive wage, comprehensive benefit package, paid time off, employee discounts in our service area and 401k retirement benefits.